Partner & Head of Baker & McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Hong Kong and China
Loke-Khoon Tan is a partner and head of Baker & McKenzie’s Intellectual Property Practice Group in Hong Kong and China. He also co-leads the Firm’s Luxury and Fashion Industry Practice and works extensively with global brands in this field in several jurisdictions. He is ranked among the leading lawyers for intellectual property by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global, PLC Which lawyer? and Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
Mr. Tan is currently a member of the Internet Committee of the International Trademark Association (INTA). He has held positions in various industry bodies including the Legislation & Regulation Committee (East Asia & Pacific Subcommittee) of INTA and the Editorial Committee of IP Asia. He is the past Chairman of the MARQUES (The Association of European Trademark Proprietors) China Team, and also the past Chairman of the IP Committee of AMCHAM (American Chamber of Commerce) in Hong Kong. He is also an ex-member of the Copyright Committee of the Hong Kong Group of the Asian Patent Attorney’s Association.
He is also a member of the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre Panel who presides over an administrative procedure for the resolution of domain name disputes pursuant to the ICANN Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy. He also sits on the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre’s Panel of Arbitrators for Intellectual Property Disputes as well as its Domain Name Dispute Resolution Panel. He is a member of the CIETAC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center and the Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre and handled their first domain name dispute cases.
Mr. Tan writes regularly for many IP publications, and is the author of the chapter in “Intellectual Property and Domain Name Arbitration” (Arbitration in Hong Kong A Practical Guide, 2014 Third Edition). He is currently working on the third edition of Pirates in the Middle Kingdom (Sweet & Maxwell). He is also the co-editor of the “Global Legal Guide for Luxury and Fashion Companies,” a Baker McKenzie publication (2015).
Mr. Tan’s practice focuses specially on intellectual property law in China, with particular emphasis on the structuring of intellectual property rights and anti-counterfeiting planning in the area of trademarks, patents, copyright, trade names, computer software, passing-off, unfair competition, designs, labeling laws, food, drug and health regulations, consumer, media and advertising laws. He also has extensive experience representing major brands and leading corporations in various industries, including luxury and fashion, cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, alcohol and liquor, technology, etc.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre – Domain Name Dispute Resolution Panel- Member
- Hong Kong Institute of Trade Mark Practitioners – Member
- MARQUES (The Association of European Trademark Proprietors) – Chairman, China Team
- Asian Patent Attorneys Association (APPA) – Member
- International Trademark Association (INTA) – Member
- Asian Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre (ADNDRC) – Member
- WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Centre Panel – Member
- CIETAC Domain Name Dispute Resolution Center – Member
- Singapore Law Review – Board of Advisors
- Panel of Arbitrators for Intellectual Property Disputes – Member
- Hong Kong (1995)
- England & Wales (non-practising)~United Kingdom (1994)
- Singapore (1988)
- National University of Singapore (LL.B.) (1987)